Dancehall Feed

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Skyjuice

'Big Belly Skyjuice' draws big crowds as he selects us again


WALTER'S WORLD by WALTER BROWN


IT has been more than a quarter of a century and Skyjuice shows no sign of slowing down.
After a sold-out performance at the Crawl Club and the Somerset Cricket Club last Friday and Saturday nights respectively, "Big Belly Skyjuice", as his fans know him, is on top of his game.
"I love Bermuda and this is my fourth time here. I'm always touring and the only time I'm home is for special events like my birthday or other big events in Jamaica," he exclaimed.
During his whistle-stop visit, the veteran selector 'juggled' alongside sons of the soil After Dark on Friday and Magnum the following night.

Magnum's co-manager Kuane Smith hailed the event a resounding success and added: "The people weren't disappointed and we managed to appeal to the large cross-section of attendees on both nights. From the younger partygoers to the more mature crowd, everyone was happy and the feedback was most positive."

Touring hasn't jaded Metro Media's veteran selector, who has performed in venues ranging from 250 to 25,000.

"When I first started (performing) I was making ten (Jamaican) dollars a night, but I loved reggae music and have been doing it for 25 years now," he added.

When asked how he managed to carve his niche in dancehall, Skyjuice wasn't at a loss for words.
"I used to be a good dancer when I first started out and as time went on I started to play when it used to be just one turntable.

read rest here: Royal Gazette

No comments: